COMPETITIONS & CONVENTIONS
- We require attendance at three regional competitions. Usually competitions begin Friday evening and continue all day Saturday and Sunday. You could dance (and must be available) at any time during those days (morning, afternoon, evening, etc.) On school days, the competitions usually do not start before 4:00pm (usually solos, duos, or trios).
- The time schedule for each competition will be handed out at the studio the week before
- Double check all costumes and accessories. Be sure you have all parts to every costume.
- Make sure shoes are in good condition. Polish any that need it.
- Pack extra tights of each type needed in case of emergencies!
- Be sure to bring lots of water and healthy snacks.
- We suggest the following items in your competition kit/bag: all makeup, studio lipstick, extra eyelashes, eyelash glue, bobby pins, hair pins, safety pins, hair nets, scissors, extra rhinestones, Super glue, sewing kit, hair spray, gel, comb, brush, ponytail elastics, body glue, body tape (available at Sally’s Beauty) makeup remover, band-aids, nail file, clear elastic, hand sanitizer, nail polish remover, and of course, a positive attitude.
- Remember you are representing the studio. Please watch your language, and conversation topics as there are children of all ages around you.
- Do not act up, and talk obnoxiously loud.
- Always say excuse me, if you have to walk through another company who is rehearsing.
- Always smile at other dancers, even if they give you the stink eye.
- Do not fight with any other studio dancers. If something comes up, please come get me immediately, and I will handle the situation.
- Do not allow ANY OTHER studio director, mom, teacher, or dancer tell you what to do or where to go. If this comes up, please alert me immediately so I can handle the situation. You can kindly remind them, that your teacher/studio director gave you specific instructions and you are following their orders. If a staff member of the competition or convention gives you instructions, please follow their rules and requests.
Dance Convention Policies
- Conventions are comprised of professional dancers and teachers from across the US. Most conventions are two-days long. The purpose of attending these conventions is to learn from amazing teachers, often with a different dance style and/or teaching method. Most teachers are extremely motivating and the kids seem to greatly benefit. Classes include: Jazz, Ballet, Tap, Hip-Hop, Musical theatre, Modern, Lyrical and more! The average two-day convention time frame is 7:30 am – 5:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday.
- The week of the convention we will tell you what time to meet us to receive your wristband. Please be on time!
- Pack lots of water and healthy snacks.
- Bring all dance shoes including jazz, tap, modern, ballet, and tennis shoes for hip-hop.
- For dancers competing please put your wristband on your right wrist. Plan on staying at the facility and getting ready for the competition there. There will NOT be time to go home in between.
- Dancers are expected to attend both days and take every class. If a dancer needs to sit for any reason, please tell a teacher as soon as possible.
- Proper attire is expected. No baggy clothes. Hair should be neat and pulled back.
- Anytime Ballet is a part of a convention - students are required to wear MDM Dance Project Studio Leotard.